In light of the transition to an increasingly circular economy, FEICA actively supports efforts to improve product efficiency and circularity to help create a more sustainable society. The use of adhesives and sealants in many sectors, including construction, automotive, and energy production, contributes to reducing the carbon footprint of a surprising number of everyday and advanced products and manufacturing processes, creating a “new licence to do business in the 21st century”.
FEICA set out its Sustainable Development Agenda which aims to:
- Broaden and improve the understanding of sustainability in the industry
- Promote best practice
- Encourage the industry to increasingly engage in the development of adhesives and sealants solutions that enable customers and industries to operate more sustainable
FEICA’s vision for sustainable development is defined as follows:
"Day by day, the adhesive and sealant industry is developing technologies to support a growing world population to live a better life and to use the planet’s resources responsibly and efficiently.”
Please see FEICA's position paper on the circular economy and brochure showcasing our industry's contribution to the economy and circular economy. In addition, at the end of 2019, FEICA was invited by the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) to contribute an article on the circular economy for their Guest Corner.
FEICA’s sustainability vision focusses on three areas of progress:
- Developing solutions for energy efficiency;
- Most efficient use of raw materials;
- Safeguarding the environment and people’s health.
- Encourage member companies to engage with FEICA’s sustainable development vision and foster active participation.
- Discover and share best practice across member companies.
- Raise awareness of the adhesive and sealant industry's contribution to sustainability, internally and externally, both in terms of activities to improve the sustainability of its own industry, as well as helping customers and their customers be more sustainable.
- FEICA Model Environmental Products Declarations (EPDs) - FEICA is committed to identifying workable solutions for our industry and thus increasing members’ engagement with sustainability.
- Good Practice Stories - Supporting our members to foster sustainability FEICA promotes excellence in how our members run their business processes to improve sustainable operations; for example, by reducing energy and water consumption, and reducing emissions to the air, water and soil. Many of our member companies are working on novel solutions to improve process sustainability and life cycle performance. To demonstrate this, FEICA shares examples of good practice.
- Our Adhesion Innovation Award aims to not only promote innovations in our industry, but also to raise awareness of the outstanding contribution our sector's innovators make towards a circular economy.
The European Union's 'European Circular Economy Stakeholder Platform' also shares how companies run their business to improve sustainable operations and has featured some of the Good Practice stories published by FEICA.
FEICA produced the FEICA position regarding the proposed roadmap on the Review of Ecodesign requirements for Computers and Computer Servers. This was featured in an article in the European Coatings Journal (March 2018) titled 'The role of adhesives and sealants in circular economy and ecodesigns'.
The European Green Deal and the Circular Economy Action Plan 2.0
The European Green Deal of 11 December 2019 places a central focus on the importance of circular economy policies as a part of Europe’s objective to transform into a climate-neutral continent by 2050.
Check FEICA’s position to the EU Green Deal and find out how the adhesives and sealants help to make it happen. You can also have a look at FEICA’s input to the European Commission plan to initiate a Renovation Wave and you will discover the key role our industry plays in delivering materials, products and technologies which ensure important aspects of circularity and sustainable development in the construction value chain.
Please also check out the European Commission's Press Release from 11 March 2020 titled 'Changing how we produce and consume: New Circular Economy Action Plan shows the way to a climate-neutral, competitive economy of empowered consumers', as it is important for our industry.