FEICA is committed to inform on the safety of our products in the supply chain, both upstream and downstream
FEICA has published several guidance documents and recommendations to help producers and users of food contact adhesives such as packaging converters and their downstream users as well as other stakeholders, such as legislators.
An overview of pertinent Guidance Papers
- FEICA Position Paper on biodegradability and compostability of packaging adhesives (2020).
- FEICA recommendation to adhesive suppliers and users on the assessment of PAAs in polyurethane adhesives intended to be used in food packaging (2020).
- FEICA risk assessment of cyclic esters in polyester adhesives Press Release (2020) - for more details see Events section below.
- FEICA recommendation to substitute GLYMO by the end of 2020 in applications intended for food contact (2019)
- FEICA holds Seminar on ‘Safe Adhesives for Safe Food’ in Brussels (2017) - for more details see Events section below.
- FEICA guidance related to the food contact status of adhesives and mineral oil hydrocarbons (2017) - Also available in French, German, Spanish and Dutch (on demand).
- FEICA guidance on migration testing of adhesives intended for food contact material (2016) - Also available in French, German, Spanish and Italian.
- FEICA guidance for Good Manufacturing Practice - GMP (2015) - Also available in French, German, Spanish, Italian and Dutch (on demand).
- FEICA guidance for a food contact status declaration for adhesives (2014) - Also available in French, German, Spanish, Italian and Dutch (on demand).
- ILSI Europe Report on Adhesives for Food Packaging Materials (2018).
More documents and information are available for members only on the FEICA Extranet.
On Thursday 4 June 2020, FEICA organised a webinar on a FEICA risk assessment for cyclic esters.
Matthias Frischmann, food chemist and Head of Corporate Analytics at Henkel in Düsseldorf introduced the topic of cyclic esters, explained the risk assessment that was carried out and the responsibilities of each actor in the supply chain of PU and heat seal adhesives.
A summary of the report and the slides of the FEICA risk assessment of cyclic esters in polyester adhesives are available on the FEICA extranet.
On 28 September 2017, FEICA held a seminar titled 'Safe Adhesives for Safe Food' for all actors in the supply chain. The seminar concentrated on migration testing of adhesives and especially the testing of the migration of mineral oil hydrocarbons.
The proceedings are available for download by clicking on the titles.
- Introduction to the adhesive industry and the food packaging sector, by Alexandra Ross, Product Regulatory Specialist, H.B. Fuller.
- Migration testing approaches for adhesives, by André Weiss, Manager Instrumental Analytics, Food Safety, Henkel.
- Mineral oil hydrocarbons - toxicological and regulatory background, by Anna Hedelin, Senior Staff Researcher Toxicology, Nynas.
- Mineral oil hydrocarbons in adhesives, by Monika Toenniessen, Regional Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs Manager Europe, Henkel.
- Testing mineral oil and synthetic hydrocarbon from adhesives into food, by Martin Lommatzsch, Analytical Chemist and Entrepreneur, Laboratory Lommatzsch.
- FEICA guidance and recommendations to the industry, by Jana Cohrs, Executive Director Regulatory Affairs, FEICA.