FEICA is committed to support the flow of information necessary to ensure the safety of our products in the supply chain, both upstream and downstream.
For a number of years the EU has set out legislation in relation to food packaging to protect consumers’ health, e.g. the Framework Regulation (EC) No 1935/2004 on materials and articles intended to come into contact with food. With the Regulation (EC) No 2023/2006 the Commission also defines rules on good manufacturing practice (GMP) for the groups of materials and articles intended to come into contact with food.
In the area of food contact materials, plastic materials and articles are regulated by a specific measure harmonised at EU level, the Plastics Regulation (EU) No 10/2011. This regulation provides among other requirements a list of authorised substances. Other substance groups as e.g. adhesives, coatings or print inks do not have such specific harmonised legislation yet. These groups of materials remain subject to the EU Framework Regulation (EC) No 1935/2004 and where existing, to the relevant Member State national legislations.
FEICA guidance for a food contact status declaration for adhesives
The Food Contact Status Guideline has been provided by the FEICA Paper & Packaging Working Group. It is primarily aimed at FEICA members and the members of its national association members who are manufacturing adhesives for the food packaging market in the EU.
In addition, this guideline can be of interest to users of food contact adhesives such as packaging converters and their downstream users as well as other stakeholders, such as legislators.
FEICA guidance for Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
The GMP Guidance, prepared by the FEICA Paper & Packaging Technical Working Group, aims to help the adhesives industry, customers and other stakeholders to understand how the regulation (EC) No 2023/2006 "on good manufacturing practice for materials and articles intended to come into contact with food" can be implemented by the adhesive industry.
FEICA guidance on migration testing of adhesives intended for food contact material
This FEICA guidance is part of a package on migration testing of non-plastic food contact material developed by several sector associations from the packaging supply chain.
The FEICA guidance 'Migration testing of adhesives intended for food contact materials' outlines the specific guidelines for conformity testing of adhesives as components of food contact materials.
To learn more about the guidance papers of the other sectors, please contact these sectors directly:
- ACE - The Alliance for Beverage Cartons and the Environment
- APEAL - The Association of European Producers of Steel for Packaging
- CEFIC-FCA - Food Contact Additives sector group of CEFIC
- CELIEGE - European Cork Federation
- CEPE - Can Coatings Sector, Paints, printing inks and artists’ colours in Europe
- CEPI - The Confederation of European Paper Industries
- CES Silicones Europe - Silicones Europe
- EAA - The European Aluminium Association
- EEA - The European Enamel Authority
- EMPAC - European Metal Packaging
- ETRMA - European Tyre and Rubber Manufacturing Association
- EuPIA - European Printing Ink Association
- EWF - European Wax federation (contact EWF by e-mail)
- FEC - Federation of the European cutlery, flatware, hollowware and cookware industries (contact FEC by e-mail)
- FEFCO - European Corrugated Packaging Association
- FPE - Flexible Packaging Europe
- GAE - Glass Alliance Europe
More about food packaging
Safe adhesives for safe food
On 20 January 2013, FEICA organised the seminar 'Working together on safe adhesives in food packaging' for FEICA company members, national association members and their members, the adhesive and sealant industry, downstream users associations, industries related to food contact, legislators and other professionals with an interest in food packaging.
- Adhesives in the context of food contact legislation | H. Onusseit, Expert Consultant Packaging Adhesives
- The food industry's expectations on adhesives | B. Kettlitz, FoodDrinkEurope
- Safety assessment by adhesive manufacturers in 3 steps | A. Ross, HB Fuller, Product Regulatory Specialist EIMEA
- Final safety assessment by converters for the intended adhesive application | M. Leydecker, Coim, Regulatory Affairs
- Mineral oil from the view of the adhesive manufacturer | M. Toeniessen, Henkel, Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs Adhesive Technologies EMEA
- The future of EU regulation on food contact materials | A. Schaefer, Head of Sector - Food Contact Materials - DG SANCO, EU Commission
FEICA has published a paper on the topic of mineral oil in adhesives for food contact applications:
Migration models for plastics
Aim of the guidance is to assist users of diffusion models to predict conservative, upper bound specific migration values from plastic food contact materials for compliance purposes by providing guidance on the relevant input parameters. This document replaces the previous version "Estimation of specific migration by generally recognised diffusion models in support of EU Directive 2002/72/EC" and updates to the current legal basis (Regulation (EU) No 10/2011).